On Apr 8, 12:07 pm, "Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is going to be big:

>From the HP FAQ: http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2008/apr-jun/memristor_faq.html

Why is memristance important?

It turns out that memristance is becoming stronger as the feature
sizes in circuits are getting smaller. At some point as we scale into
the realm of nanoelectronics, it will be necessary to explicitly take
account of memristance in our circuit models in order to simulate and
design electronic circuits properly. [Wow]

What types of applications could memristors have?

We see two types of applications for memristors and memristive
devices.

The first, as the name "memory resistor" implies, is for a type of non-
volatile random access memory [snip]

Another interesting application is as an 'artificial synapse' in a
circuit designed for analog computation. [snip]

However, as experience shows, the most valuable applications of
memristors will most likely come from some young student who learns
about these devices and has an inspiration for something totally new.

[Haha.  Nice weasel words.  The Nature paper shows that memristors can
do computation.  That is, a single (possibly 3-d) chip can contain
both memory and a "cpu". ]

EKR