I'm writing a plugin and I want to allow the user to select one set of
preferences for the current .leo file and another set of preferences
to be the current defaults for all .leo files.  I want these
preferences to persist from one Leo-Editor session to another.  That
is, they must be saved on disk somehow, somewhere.

Naively one might think that the preferences for a particular .leo
file should be saved in the .leo file itself, but I understand and
agree with Edward that such things as these plugin-specific
preferences should not be written to the .leo file.  I believe Edward
advocates writing them to the "cache."  How do I do this?  That is,
write them to "cache" and read them from "cache" so they are
associated with a particular .leo file?

Should the current defaults for all .leo files also be written to the
"cache"?  Is there cache access not associated with any specific .leo
file?

Or should the current defaults for all .leo file be written to To
myLeoSettings.leo?  Or to a file specific to my plugin in the
directory containing (or that would contain) myLeoSettings.leo?

Or ?