This thread is inspired (and inspired is the right word) by Kent's
stinging comment about "annoying breakthroughs" :-)  Stinging comments
can be a "whack on the side of the head", that is, a spur to
creativity.

First, let me say that my short responses in the thread "Two
questions: quality, understanding" have a purpose: they are intended
to stay on topic.

Recall that the two questions are:

1. How can I improve Leo's quality?

2. (Revised) How can we better understand complex computer programs?

Either question can be answered from two opposite directions:

A: Kaizen: continuous incremental improvement.

B: "True" Breakthroughs: unexpected, "totally" new ideas and
techniques.

In fact, these two directions are intimately connected. Each helps the
other.  You could say that they are at opposite ends of a continuum.

Kaizen is at the "long" end.  It focuses on details.  "Annoying" Aha's
live here--Aha's so small that some might roll their eyes at calling
them an Aha.  At this end of the spectrum, all that counts is
movement, however tiny, in the forward direction.

"Big" breakthroughs are at the "short" end.  They have a memorable,
pithy summary that alters the world significantly.  Here are Leo's big
Aha's:

- Webs are outlines in disguise.
- Use the MORE outliner as a prototype.
- @others connects code with outlines.
- Clones create views.
- @button brings scripts to data.
- A bridge between Leo and IPython is possible.
- Use caching, not faster code, to speed up Leo's read logic.

As I write this, I see that dreams can arise anywhere on the spectrum
of detail.  Some dreams are unfocused, with little detail, other are
heavily focused an heavily influenced by detail.  In fact, both vague
yearnings and specific problems can prime the subconscious pump.

With these ideas in mind, I'll be returning to the "Two questions"
thread.