On Nov 17, 4:12 pm, Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been doing some reading, trying to expand my basic (very fuzzy)
> understanding of just what programming or software development is.
> This thing[1] led to that thing[2] to the other thing[3], as is normal
> on this infinite distraction machine, and I found myself reading and
> trying to grasp the gist of something called Differential Execution or
> Dynamic Dialogs
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/371898/how-does-differential-execu...).
> It's way above my programming level, I don't really know I'm trying,
> except that when I encountered Leo it too was way above my
> understanding (still is actually), yet I've learned something valuable
> and useful things anyway.
>
> Anyway (seems to be an echo here...) reading that I come away with the
> idea DE might might be approximately equivalent to the difference
> between writing a beautiful webpage wholly in html vs html plus
> cascading stylesheets. Is that about it, in broad strokes?

more like HTML + Javascript. I would have to vote hype though. the guy
is selling books on the subjects.

not to say the ideas are not interesting. DE appears to me
to be a solution in search of a problem. the idea that you would be
better off, taking less time and lines of code, getting a diff of the
last state of a dialog and sending that to a window manager instead of
using event programming where the wm decides what needs to be updated
seems like fanciful hype.
though I will have to try it to find out.  with todays tools and
hardware, optimizations from the last century often are no longer cost
effective.

not every idea is a simplification though, nor are good ideas always
easy to grasp or put into practice.
the other idea from the same guy in the profiling thread about halting
a program at random and looking at the call stack to get a sense of
where the program is cpu bound is at best surprising if it has any
merit.
that is after all what a profiler does. again, an optimization
technique usually for larger or cpu bound programs.
not something you really need to worry about at the start of a
project.

the ROI thread has some good advice.
to program well you have to program often to get and keep the
experience. reading about it almost doesn't count.