Hi John,

I wrote the original instructions for using Homebrew to install Leo on the Mac.
Unfortunately those instructions are a bit outdated by now. From your
description I only see one problem: the PYTHONPATH you added to .bash_profile
has changed to

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

This is mentioned by brew after you install sip - reinstall sip to verify the
correct incantation for you (I assume you are using Python 2.6 - change to
python2.7 if necessary).

To answer some of your questions: pyqt depends on qt and sip, therefore
installing the pyqt package will automatically install the rest. I've installed
them separately in the instructions below to pick up the correct PYTHONPATH
setting.

Here is a summary of what I did today on a reasonably clean Lion system to get
Leo working (maybe Ed can put this on the web site):

- Read the Homebrew installation instructions at
  https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Installation

- Make sure you have Xcode installed (test it by confirming
  that "gcc" runs in the Terminal). You can either get the full
  Xcode beast or the lean-and-mean Command-Line Tools
  for Xcode, as suggested in the Homebrew installation
  instructions.

- In preparation for Homebrew, the best option in my opinion is
  to delete /usr/local via::

  sudo rm -rf /usr/local

  and install any software in it via Homebrew instead. If this step
  fills you with dread and you do not want to lose your beloved
  third-party software, the second-best option is to make sure you
  have write permission for the directory via::

  sudo chown -R <your user name>:admin /usr/local

  If you don't know your username, run "whoami". :-) This is
  useful because homebrew actually discourages you from
  installing third-party software as the superuser (the usual Mac
  apps in /Applications are also installed as the normal user,
  for that matter).

- Install Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/) by running
the following command in the Terminal::

  /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(/usr/bin/curl -fsSL
https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/master/Library/Contributions/install_homebrew.rb)"

- Run "brew doctor" and check any further suggestions to improve
your system.

- Run "brew update" to get the latest formulas

- Install sip and note the caveat::

  brew install sip

  This warns you to add the local python directory to your PYTHONPATH.
  Make a note of what this is (especially if you are not on Lion!).

- Add the following lines to your ~/.bash_profile
  (or ~/.profile on Leopard) - this is the default for LION::

  export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
  # This is for SIP (and PyQT) as suggested by Homebrew
  export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

- Install PyQT::

  brew install pyqt

- Open a new Terminal tab / window so that the above settings
  take effect, and install Leo. I downloaded the Leo-4.9-final-a.zip,
  unzipped it, and ran "python launchLeo.py" inside the Leo
  directory.

It would really be great to get a Leo formula going for Homebrew… As mentioned
before, the main question is just where to place all the Leo files in the
/usr/local hierarchy.

Regards,
Ludwig