Hi Terry,

no, I do not need the mindmap stuff at all. I had a look at short look at
cmaptools, and I agree the generalized graph approach seems better than a
standard mindmap. But I am quite happy with the tree view in Leo and as you
already mentioned, this can be extended with backlinks etc.
I have used Leo already to organize reference documents and write
documentation (using Latex).

What I do want is links to a particular page of a PDF - links to just a
file are not enough when you refer to documents with 100+ pages.
Unfortunately this seems to be difficult to achieve in a cross-platform
way, particular when trying to support different PDF viewers. Docear is
solving this (and other compatibility problems) by developing its own
integrated viewer (I do not suggest to do this for Leo).

On second thought, I don't think that extracting the bookmark and
annotation info is really important to me - I would keep that info in the
PDF, anyhow. I would write inside Leo addional notes, and the output text
(in Latex).

Some integration of Bibtex may be a good thing and needs to be thought out
- perhaps by using JabRef for this, or by recycling some pyBibliographer
code, but this is also low on my priority list.

Offray seems to have a very similar use case as I - although I do not write
a thesis, but specifications for scientific instruments. The point about
cross-platform installation ease is also well taken, so I will look into
some inter-operability here (either with docear or cmaptools). I see Leo
mainly as a personal project / information manager: the leo tree is not
easily shared with others, while the files Leo points to with @url, @auto,
@file etc can be shared quite easily. In this I use Leo as *my personal*
view on the project.

- Josef