On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I heard wrong, confabulated some memory or what, but
> somewhere I got the impression that you could outline a computer
> program in Leo, press a button, and get a Python app with a GUI
> interface popping out. Is this true, or was I hallucinating?

Interesting questions.  Thanks for asking.

If by "press a button" you mean typing Ctrl-S, then Leo is an example
of such an app :-)

But I suppose you want to run a gui-based program from within Leo.
This is indeed possible, in several ways.  Depending on your
situation, you may be able to share Leo's gui and event loop.  You can
do this by creating Qt widgets in Leo.

For truly stand-alone apps, you would proceed similarly, but you would
run the app in a separate process.  That way the event loops are
separate, and you could use perl or tcl/tk or ruby or whatever.

I'm being general and vague because I don't know exactly what you want to do.

> If it's true, can you outline forms and picklists, and the interaction
> between the two, and then press the button and have the app work? Can
> you also outline database interactions.

The general answer has got to be "yes" to all such questions, because
Leo outlines can store any data and can contain any scripts whatever.
I know this isn't necessarily a road map for any particular project.
Otoh, all of Leo's sources are in two .leo files, so I'm not speaking
hypothetically.

In short, you can do *anything* with Python and outlines.  Whether it
will be easy is another matter.  But Leo's DOM (scripting) makes the
association of programs and data with outlines straightforward, so
your ideas are perfectly reasonable.

HTH.  Please feel free to ask more questions.