the leoSettings is supposed to be:

    @string external_editor='blahblah.exe'

but it doesn't seem to have an effect on my computer. Or it's being
overwritten by something else. (see
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.leo.general/14362,
https://leo-editor.readthedocs.org/en/latest/_modules/leo/core/leoGlobals.html#guessExternalEditor";
c and c.config.getString('external_editor'))"

----
however, getting back to why the np++ isn't being substituted. What your
looking for is "image file execution options", and all it takes is editing
a registry key:

https://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/other/replace_notepad_with_notepad2.reg
https://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/other/OpenWithNotepad.reg

cheers,