Hi: While I was preparing the question I came up with the answer. Im still
posting this because IMO its a very useful way of using the dictionary in
c.XXX, and I couldn't think of it before.
This can be used instead of @command for creating functions that accept
arguments and are available in the current Leo file. I would include this
on the manuals/guides
here<http://leoeditor.com/scripting.html#the-g-command-decorator>,
since its short but gives an idea on how to make those functions quick and
easy. Or I would include it on the "Leo cheatsheet" document.
Just put this into a node then run it:

def MyFunction(string):