On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Terry Brown <terry_n_br...@yahoo.com> wrote:

But no more wrong than (2), which adds complexity to fix a problem that

> can probably be avoided.  I'm thinking I might try (1) locally and see
>
> if I see any problems.

Go for it!

> In general it seems that (de)iconifying / minimizing the window should
>
> only be done very deliberately, not as a side effect of various other
>
> actions.

I agree completely.

> I forget if there are any in the repo. as opposed to in my scripts,
> but you can do:
>
> def at_idle(c=c):
>     do_stuff()
> Qt.QTimer.singleShot(0, at_idle)
>
> to get focus in the right place after all c.redraw() / c.outerUpdate()
> etc. etc.

Excellent. I might try that after the call to deleteLater.  If it works, I
may just  leave things as they are otherwise--viewrendered is *really*
complex (because it is doing complex things.)

> > My question: is there any reason why deleting the vr pane is necessary to
>
> keep either the free_layout or nested_splitter plugins happy?
>
> No, they have special relationship to view rendered.  The view rendered
>
> plugin probably registers with free_layout as a widget provider, but
>
> there's nothing special about that.

To be clear, this mean that it *should* be possible to hide the pane,
rather than delete it.  Right?