On 10/9/2013 8:10 AM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
I spent all day yesterday on table-of-contents-related issues. The results are on Leo's web site. A bit more work is coming.

Here is the new-look: http://leoeditor.com/leo_toc.html More work is needed in some interior pages of Leo's docs.

There are a surprising number of tradeoffs involved, that affect the rST sources. The most important: it doesn't seem possible in sphinx to create a subsidiary TOC of just part of a file--instead, one must create separate files.

Another tradeoff: clarity vs completeness. I dislike giant TOCs. The principle I use is to show only the minimum necessary to indicate what is available, leaving the details for inner TOCs. Imo, this organization is easiest for both newbies and experts to understand and use.

I am about to remove all the @file nodes (but not their contents!) from LeoDocs.leo. They are just annoying. Only the @rst nodes are required.

Now, the TOC is actually generated by sphinx, rather than being hand-made to *look* like it was done by sphinx. The Aha was that I could use multiple toctree directives in the same files. BTW, the "extra" spaces between some, but not all, TOC entries is due to the spaces around the toctree directives. It would be possible to omit those spaces with css, but it doesn't seem worth it. I could also add spaces around *all* entries, but the consistency doesn't seem worth the wasted real estate.

I could say a lot more about this process, but I'll omit some and save other for other threads.

Edward
Looking nice.  Much more straight-forward than before.

-->Jake