On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
> "Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Not sure why you said "you can specify a computer program as an
> > outline like thing in an outliner like setting."  Why not just say,
> > "write a computer program in an outline?"  Is there some nuance I am
>
> missing?
>
> There are probably a million reasons I said it like that, but I think
> the main one is my everpresent, brightly burning belief that a program
>
> should be designed before its coded.
> [big snip]
>

> So it seems to me that I *design* the program on Leo, and then, when
>
> the time comes, I flip a switch and Leo *writes* the program for me.
>

> As soon as I have free time, I'm going to do the Leo Hello World
> program that Gatesphere recommended, and then I'll be able to express
>
> myself better.

Excellent.

> The first words of the announcement *must* list Leo's key
> benefits, and perhaps even say why Leo trumps Emacs org mode and
>
> vimoutline mode.  This is a major opportunity missed.  I'll correct
> it for the b1 announcement.
>
> I'd be careful about making such assertions.

Thanks for the warning. I was thinking about you comment about Leo having
an image problem:

QQQ
But first, I think Leo has an image problem. Mention Leo, and most
people say "it's an outliner." If that's all Leo was, VimOutliner would
have eaten Leo's lunch years ago --- VimOutliner's faster and has the
90% of outlining features that people use 90% of the time. Not only
that, face the facts, 95% of the population will never believe they
need an outliner or that an outliner would do them any good, or that
outlining is a skill they need to bother to acquire.
QQQ

To repeat, I have been thinking about this ever since I read it.  Somehow,
we must combat the perception that Emacs and Vim outline modes do it all.

I'd view Leo's niche as designing

> programs, and then flipping a switch and having Leo write them. That's
>
> *huge*, and is only peripherally related to the fact that Leo can
>
> function as an outliner.

Hmm.  Certainly, Leo's outlining features are *features*, not benefits.

There are several real benefits lurking in this discussion.  When I finish
emails I'll attempt to make a fairly short lists of those benefits, and why
Emacs and vim do not provide the same benefits.  It might be dangerous, but
I think it has to be done.  Otherwise, why would we be using Leo, and why
would anyone else want to use Leo?