I wrote a quick @button script for you, to help you out. Put this in an '@button update-vr' node somewhere in your outline:

----
@language python

''' usage:
    1. modify nodename below to exactly match the
       headline of the node you wish vr to render (your @auto node)
    2. modify rstnodename below to exactly match the
        headline of your @rst node
    3. Alt-X vr
    4. Alt-X vr-lock
    5. Click this button 'update-vr' any time to
       re-render the target node
'''

nodename = '@auto myfile.rst'
rstnodename = '@rst myfile.html'
current_v = p.v
c.selectPosition(g.findNodeAnywhere(c,rstnodename))
c.executeMinibufferCommand('rst3')
c.readAtAutoNodes()
c.selectPosition(g.findNodeAnywhere(c,nodename))
c.executeMinibufferCommand('vr-update')
c.selectPosition(c.vnode2Position(current_v))
----

Be sure to change nodename to match the headline of the @auto node you created. This should combine steps 2, 3, and 4 into a single click, with no navigation, and drop you down back on the node you were editing prior to clicking the button.

Beware: this has the side-effect of reloading *all* @auto nodes in the current outline. Shouldn't be a huge deal, but just be aware. Take backups before you try this.

Hope this helps!
-->Jake