Dear Edward,

Thanks for providing your impressive Leo tool. I currently try to
understand its full potential.

short story
===========
I struggle to understand how to use Leo for creating code and docs from one
common project outline.
I tried to create code chunks as sections: expanding those in code files
works but I fail to expand them in documentation files (see attached .leo
file). What am I doing wrong?

full story
==========
I got interested in Leo because it was mentioned under
http://www.literateprogramming.com/tools.html. I need a tool that I can use
across programming languages for maintaining code and documentation in one
place. I want something that goes beyond pure documentation generation from
code (such as javadoc or doxygen) because documentation needs to include
more that that (requirements, design, top down introduction from coarse to
fine grain etc). I want something that goes beyond traditional literate
programming in that I don't want to be forced to write all of my code as an
essay, because sometimes it is sufficient to just cite some important
pieces of code and because clear code needs its own structure different
from documentation structure.

So what I want is a tool that allows to
- define named code chunks that can be re-used in multiple views such as
code files and documentation files
- GUI navigate code structure, docu structure and jump from one to the
other (inside Leo as well as between exported code and docs)
- define reusable modules that encapsulate code and documentation

I understand that Leo is great in structuring either code or documentation.
I understand that Leo allows to define two types of chunks (nodes and
sections) and reusing them in multiple views (nodes via cloning and
sections via expanding references).
However, I don't see how to expand references in rst files, which would be
the natural way to talk about multiple chunks in one docu chapter (cloned
nodes force new chapters in the documentation)?
I also don't see how to create reusable modules of code and documentation.
This would require a tree structure like this
- root
- - module 1
- - - module chunk tree 1
- - - - elements of chunk tree 1
- - - module code tree 1
- - - - elements of code tree 1 reusing chunks
- - - module docu tree 1
- - - - elements of docu tree 1 reusing chunks
- - module 2
- - - module chunk tree 2
- - - - elements of chunk tree 2
- - - module code tree 2
- - - - elements of code tree 2 reusing chunks
- - - module docu tree 2
- - - - elements of docu tree 2 reusing chunks
- - main code tree (here the code export happens)
- - - elements of main code tree reusing modules
- - main docu tree (here the docu generation happens)
- - - elements of main docu tree reusing modules

Can I do that with Leo? If not, would it be difficult to modify Leo to do
this (it seems Leo is at least already very close to such *extremely*
useful tool)?

Kind regards

Jens Oehlschlägel