I've just pushed a switch from the old active pane border highlighting
code to a stylesheet based approach which makes it possible to do
different appearance things beyond border colors.

The default behavior is intended to be the same, it looks the same to
me, the active pane has a thin red border.  But now that's caused by
the following stylesheet code:

/* focused pane border highlight */
QTextEdit#log-widget, LeoQTreeWidget#treeWidget, QTextEdit#richTextEdit {
  border-style: @focused-border-style;
  border-width: @focused-border-width;
  border-color: @focused-border-unfocus-color;
}
QTextEdit:focus#log-widget, LeoQTreeWidget:focus#treeWidget,
QTextEdit:focus#richTextEdit {
  border-style: @focused-border-style;
  border-width: @focused-border-width;
  border-color: @focused-border-focus-color;
}

Background color etc. could be styled as well, probably most easily
in @data qt-gui-user-style-sheet

Edward - I know your dealing with other things at the moment, but
please let me know if this scheme doesn't work for your settings /
environment etc. so I can fix it, always hard to know how these changes
impact local settings.  Same for everyone else of course - let me know
if this doesn't allow you to do what you were doing before.