This has been fixed as of commit 60d085a68b8a...

It involves a dirty hack to force QT to redraw the tabs though. Perhaps someone more versed in PyQt could fix up my code? Particularly the following bit: https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/blob/master/leo/plugins/qtGui.py#L7155-7163

Hope this helps!
-->Jake