First, hello everyone - and thanks in advance for your time and help!

I stumbled across Leo Editor while in the process of learning Python,
trying to retool myself for the future, I already have experience of Perl
but Python looks like a good way forward. Having looked through some of the
documentation it seems that Leo does many of the things that I appreciate
in a 'text editor'(I realise that's a simplification).

I managed to install Leo and do the basics, open, create, save, edit files
etc. However it seems(to me) that many of the functions mentioned in the
opening tutorial just don't work (for me). For instance, this morning I
came back to Leo after a few weeks and tried to use the @file directive to
create an external (I also tried @auto) - but I received this error message

exception writing: /Users/spkb/Documents/Leo Editor/scokobro-site.txt

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/Users/spkb/leo-editor/leo/core/leoAtFile.py", line 3105, in write
    at.writeOpenFile(root,nosentinels=nosentinels,toString=toString)

  File "/Users/spkb/leo-editor/leo/core/leoAtFile.py", line 3660, in
writeOpenFile
    at.putOpenNodeSentinel(root)

  File "/Users/spkb/leo-editor/leo/plugins/lineNumbers.py", line 51, in
putLineNumberDirective
    oldOpenNodeSentinel(self,v,inAtAll,inAtOthers,middle)

TypeError: putOpenNodeSentinel() takes at most 4 arguments (5 given)

In addition directives such as @wrap, @pagewidth (both under a @settinsg
node) seem to have no effect...

I suspect that there is something *really* fundamental that I'm missing/not
understanding. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might be able to
make some headway I'd be immensely grateful.

Thanks (and apologies for being so vague!)

Mac OS 10.9.3, Python 2.7.5