On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 5:23 PM,  <duf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) how to strip down Python's functionality to a bare minimum (without
> rebuilding it), so that it runs faster?

There is no way to do this, nor would any conceivable alteration to
Python's base make it run faster.

If you *really* need more speed, you can create a C-language extension:
https://docs.python.org/2/extending/extending.html

However, many times improving an algorithm written in Python will
suffice.  It may takes lots of work, as with Leo's syntax coloring
algorithm.

> 3) can some Python script within a Leo outline be included as bytecode? That
> is, when I need to distribute the outline and don't want others to be able
> to read what the code says.

You could distribute .pyc files, but the format of those files depends
on the exact version of Python you are using.

I realize that in commercial environments it can seem advisable to
hide source code, but Python isn't very friendly to that approach.