On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:29:53 -0600
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Chris George <technat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
> None of this really helps with installation on Linux, but it might
> provide some perspective.
>
> ​Thanks for this.  The irony is that using git to grab the latest
> version and a script to execute seems to be the easiest way *by far*
> to use Leo. So all the installation-related work we are doing seems
> almost to be beside the point.
>
> But not quite :-)  Apparently​ there are some who won't use (or maybe
> recommend) anything but "official" versions, no matter how behind the
> times they may be.

I don't think it's just a matter of versions, I think some people (a
majority?) will stop reading at "to install Leo download git...".

The highest level of people trying Leo would be achieved with
a .exe/.msi installer for Windows, a ppa installer for
Ubuntu, .deb / .rpm(?) installers for other Linuxs, and a <insert
equivalent here> for Mac. Without those we're filtering out a lot of
people.  My guess is that Leo may not be the right tool for many of
those people, but it might be useful for a significant proportion of
them.

pip install and "install these dependencies and this .zip file" will
turn off fewer potential users than the "install git" path, but still
filter more than the above package management approaches.

But I don't have time to contribute to packaging, I still haven't got a
prototype of the easy settings stuff out the door, which I said I'd
make a priority.  So props to all the packaging work that's happening,
it all helps.