Hi Don

On Saturday, 31 January 2015 01:52:15 UTC, Don Dwiggins wrote:

>  On 1/30/15 11:53 AM, jkn wrote:
>

> Sounds like Ecco Pro ;-) (which I also use as well as Leo; haven't been
> able to be as fluent in Leo for some things...)
>

> Ahh, glad there's another "Ecconista" on board.  Having used Ecco for 20
> years, I'm anticipating a fairly long (re)learning curve, which I hope to
> mitigate somewhat by "Eccofying" what I can of the "front end" -- at least
> the basic keystrokes and mouse gestures to navigate and edit the tree
> structure.  Are you trying to move your Ecco data to Leo, as I am?  Other
> than fluency, how's it going?
>
> Generally, I plan to record my progress, the stumbling blocks, etc., to
> help smooth the way for other newbies and maybe guide further "user
> experience" improvements

I'm probably not as fluent in Ecco as you are, even though I've used it no
& off for some ten years or so (still well after support  stopped, IIRC).
You probably know of the couple of Yahoo groups which keep it going via
some very nice but 'tricky' extensions, Lua etc.

Working with both Ecco and Leo are part of my search for 'the perfect PIM
tool'; sadly I don't seem to get time to get as fluent as I'd like in any
of them, but these are the two I have stuck with. I need cross-platform
support and now that Ecco runs decently under WINE I can run both under
Win32 and LInux. I have previously posted here some of the key-bindings for
Ecco as I think they are pretty sweet. The fact that Leo is (a) still being
heavily developed ;-) and (b) written in Python, in which I am reasonably
fluent, is a big plus for Leo. There's also at least a possibility that I
can feed something back into the Leo community, which would be nice.

In my day job I have a lot of projects and I try to run a sort of GTD-style
operation ... at least some sort of 'attention management system', one
description of GTD that I quite like. I've so far not hit the sweet spot
with either Leo or Ecco on this, but for sure it is part due to not
spending the time. I'm starting writing a few Leo 'macros' (commands to
parse my project workbook and do some reporting, which is nite. I am still
much more fluent in Ecco to jsut type a whole seires of hierarchical points
though, it's beautiful for that. I s'pose I ought to sepnd a little time
trying to export from Ecco into Leo - that would be handy...

I think it would be good for others with some experience of Ecco to have
input in this newsgroup - welcome abord!

    Cheers
    Jon N