​​On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
wrote:

1. It is not always clear which importer to use.  That's why we have
> @auto-rst, @auto-vo, @auto-otl.  I shall be *so* happy when these wretched
> hacks sail off into the sunset.  Otoh, we shall soon need the corresponding
> flavors of the import-file command.

​Actually not, for two, no three, reasons.

1. In almost all cases the import-file command can guess the correct type
of file.  In the rare situations where a) an importer exists but b) the
file type is unknown, the user can simply change the filetype temporarily
so the proper importer is known.

2. If we are going to create special import commands for rst, vimoutline
and otl files, why not create special cases for other importers?  Where do
all the new import commands end?

3. Adding *any* new import commands is a big step backwards, as Kent
rightly pointed out long ago.

All this illustrates, imo, that *none* of us (including me) truly yet grasp
how wonderful it will be when Leo no longer supports @auto and @shadow.
The collapse in complexity will go on and on...