On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:42:22 -0700 (PDT)
john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that collapse_nodes_after_move should be False by default.
> That is not expected behavior (performing an additional action that I
> didn't ask for) and if it is desired by the user then the user should
> have to enable it themselves.

I think I agree, although just barely ;-)  It's tricky because
navigating the outline with the keyboard is difficult without the
"collapse as you move up the tree" behavior:

   a1
   a2
   a3
   (omitted to save space)
   a20
   b1
   b2

say you want to get from a2 to b2, with collapsing, it's left, down,
right, down.  Without collapsing, it's down x 20.

It would be different if down was bound to goto-next-sibling, but it's
bound to next-line.

So, I'd agree with changing the default, Edward might say we never
argue about preferences, it's up to the user to set them :-)

It's a hard call because without knowing about the @settings, and
there's no way to make them all knowable any more than there's a way to
know about all the browser (chrome://flags/) or Emacs settings, the
new user may find keyboard navigation more intuitive but much less
useful.

For your actual use case:

> Is it possible to suppress automatic collapsing of subtrees while I'm
> navigating an outline? I often cycle through several nodes in several
> places, and when they automatically collapse, I need to re-navigate,
> which slows me down and disrupts my thinking.

if you saying your cycling three 4-5 nodes repeatedly (common with
coding), I'd say there are three ways to make that easy:

The bookmarks plugin is designed to be quick enough to use for
(multiple) short lived sets of nodes of interest, it's not just for long
term bookmarks as it's name might, unfortunately, imply.

An older alternative I still use for nodes of transient one session
interest is the "quickmove_jump_to" command in the quick_move plugin,
which adds a button on the icon bar that jumps you to the current
node when clicked.  Unless you "right-click -> Make Permanent", these
are session transient.

And finally, if you really wanted, I suppose ;-), you could use clones
to provide access to your set of nodes of interest in a compact group
of siblings.

Cheers -Terry