On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:30:19 -0500
Kent Tenney <kten...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very late to the appearance party.
>
> The edit settings menu is great, it exposes the workings
> in a way that simplifies while educating. By following the
> links and reading the text I quickly learn how Leo does it.
>
> I loaded the Colors node into myLeoSettings.leo and changed
> the value of
> @color body-bg = white
> @color body-bg = yellow
>
> I saved, revert to saved, no change, closed and re-opened, no change,
> it seems colors are being configured elsewhere ...

One thing I intended but forgot to mention is that Edit settings is
really only "guaranteed" to work with a fairly vanilla Leo setup,
particularly if you're using any theme or older stylesheet that doesn't
get parameterized by the settings in
leo/config/leoSettings.leo#@settings-->Appearance (change these first)-->Qt Gui
settings
or their local overrides, then it won't have a lot of effect.

So more work is needed to make sure that that distributed themes are
parameterized by those settings, we need to not have the default theme use
"body-bg" and another theme use "body-background" for example.  Themes
can use whatever settings and style code they want, but they should use
the same parameters where-ever possible.  It would be possible to add
theme specific entries to the new menu, but lets get themes working
better in general first.

Also the new menu only provides management of the settings in
leo/config/leoSettings.leo#@settings-->Appearance (change these first)-->Qt Gui
settings
I didn't do any checking to see that they're all used in the default
stylesheet that's parameterized with them.  I typically just tested
font size and family, which seemed to work fine as long as you
re-opened an outline.

Cheers -Terry