​I am going to create a new thread for this.  It doesn't belong in the Last
Lecture.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <
> off...@riseup.net> wrote:
>

> I think that Leo should be easy to install by "anyone".
>> ​ [snip]
>>

> ​I agree.  That's why I plan to use PyInstaller to create a single
> executable.​

​pyinstaller <http://pythonhosted.org/PyInstaller/>is very cool. Just
doing:​

​    pyinstaller --debug launchLeo.py

from the leo-editor folder does a lengthy analysis (several minutes) of all
of Leo's dependencies and creates the folder leo-editor/dist.

On Windows, this folder contains launchLeo.exe, folders for all needed
modules and all required .dll and .pyd files.  Pyinstaller should work much
the same on Linux and MacOs.

At present, running launchLeo.exe fails, but that's a nit ;-)  When I
launch launchLeo.exe from a console I can see python tracebacks.  At
present I don't understand the tracebacks, but I suspect that the default
manifest launchLeo.spec not include all needed files, such as .leo files
and icons. That shouldn't be too hard to remedy.

pyinstaller looks well worth the effort required to get working. The docs
look excellent and there is a discussion group.  Once the folder-oriented
distro is debugged, it will be easier to create the single-executable-file
distro, which is also a .exe file.

​This is exciting.

Edward​