On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:40:35 PM UTC-5, Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
>
> Leo 5.3 was working fine for me for quite some time.
>>
>> Without any (known) changes Leo stopped working :-(
>>

> Happily, I think we can say, the same thing just happened to me when I
> installed Python 3.5.2 on Anaconda 4.2.0 on my Win 10 laptop.  This was a
> pretty clean install: I uninstalled lots of old pythons first.
>
> Rev 2e1137 works around this problem in an inelegant, but probably
> completely safe way.
>
> Here are the relevant tracebacks
>>

> [Snip]
>
>   File "C:\Users\Viktor\Programs\leo53\leo\core\leoGlobals.py", line
> 5910, in os_path_finalize
>     path = os.path.abspath(path)
>   File "C:\Python35\lib\ntpath.py", line 535, in abspath
>     path = _getfullpathname(path)
> ValueError: _getfullpathname: embedded null character
>
> Googling the exact error message (ValueError: _getfullpathname: embedded
> null character) yielded this page
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34004063/error-on-import-matplotlib-pyplot-on-anaconda3-for-windows-10-home-64-bit-pc>.
>

> QQQ
>
> This is a bug in python, not matplotlib. The issue is that
> winreg.EnumValue is not cutting string values at their length properly
> for some reason, and strings will include null characters which
> os.path.abspath is not able to process.
>
> QQQ

​Searching on Python's bug tracker yields Issue 25778: winreg.EnumValue
does not truncate strings correctly​ <https://bugs.python.org/issue25778>

​The last post for this issue was in January.  That's not good enough, as I
say here
<http://bugs.python.org/issue25778?@ok_message=msg%20282280%20created%0Aissue%2025778%20nosy_count%2C%20nosy%2C%20messages%2C%20message_count%20edited%20ok&@template=item#msg282280>
.

EKR