I had opportunity to use the mercurial shelf in TortoiseHG today.
say you want to revert the working tip but don't want to commit.
you have a patch for a file or a few files and shelve them
revert update then un-shelve the patches and back in business.

I see clamoring for multiple body's in Leo
what about multiple outlines? or is that already being done?

obviously lots of work comparing two revisions and then somehow applying
the patches. even for the one file I was working on with 3 minor changes
I managed to lose 2 of the edits by the time I got to apply the patch.
you can get the diffs but files can radically change as you go back in time.
maybe if such a tool existed you would find ways to use it?

is code coverage checking a done deal in python? any language?
a test outline on the left and source outline on the right
uncovered code highlighted. maybe more tests generated.
https://wiki.python.org/moin/CodeCoverage

don't forget the substantial non programmer Leo user population!
there might be a use for test driven writing? create an outline
then analyze the nodes, do they make sense.
going the other way, take a bunch of text and generate
headlines. is a free form text importer possible? useful?

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 6:16:41 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream
wrote:The last two years have seen @clean and the clone-find commands.
Both are game changers. My *goal *for the new year is create something
similar.

The *strategy *will be to focus on problems that we have learning or using
Leo.  Some possibilities:

*Learning about Leo*The Programming with Leo
<http://leoeditor.com/tutorial-programming.html> tutorial must be
rewritten, following the "less said the better" principle. I'll start with
motivating @file and @others.  Everything else is details.

I am considering a series of "Looking over Edward's shoulder" tutorials.
Instead of slideshows or videos, it may be more effective to throw out a
few haiku-like invitations for discovery, following the how to learn Leo
post <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/leo-editor/aafVEBcF9q4>.
Yes, Leo has a gazillion features, but the basics of Leo are simple, and
there aren't many of them.

*Editing*

Leo might benefit from a temporary vim mode.  This should be easy to do,
and it might be useful in some situations.  Leo might also benefit from a
vim-like "dot" command.

I am having my doubts that a super-duper outline-based diff
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/leo-editor/ZKP-X2kCc9s> is going
to be useful. The only time I ever use git diff is when creating a checkin
log. Still, I'll investigate a bit further.

As always, I'll be looking for ways to better integrate Leo with vim,
emacs, jupyter, etc.

*Testing*

The TDD advances
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/leo-editor/UCcBz-BdHII>, have
stimulated further thoughts. More improvements may follow.

Leo is a uniquely friendly environment for unit testing.  For example, one
could imagine a short script that would generate unit tests for all
commands, or all methods in a file or class.

*Design and checking*

After spending considerable time writing the make-stub-files
<https://github.com/edreamleo/make-stub-files> script, I have never used
mypy <http://mypy-lang.org/>. I'll probably play around with checking next
year.  Programmers have not begun to use big data to validate/improve their
programs...

*Understanding*

The biggest payoff may come from enhancing Leo's unique strength, namely
understanding computer programs, or other complex data.  Advances in this
arena will be difficult (impossible) to duplicate in other programs.

That's all for now.  All comments welcome.