On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Mike Hodson <myst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh for the love of...
> What died?!  I'm surprised as anything at this revelation

​It was a cascading series of failures.  Imo, the machine was never right.
It ran very slowly out of the box.  Then the battery indicator got stuck at
"28%, plugged in, not charging".  Recovering from the Windows 10 recovery
disk failed, making it impossible to boot.

And oh yes, booting from a Ubuntu image failed with a USB 3 disk failed,
although booting from a USB 2 drive ​did work.

It's no big deal.  I'll have my old Windows 10 laptop with me in Ashland,
and Terry and Kent are sure to have Linux laptops with them.