Hi Edward

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 9:59:49 PM UTC+1, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:00 AM, jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

>> Also, I thought I had read that Leo saves command history between
>> sessions, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
>>

> ​I found this unanswered question while documenting what you did.
>
> The only way to "remember" command history between sessions is to update
> the @data command-history node.
>
> The situation is similar to trying to "remember" the
> toggle-split-direction command.  That's also not possible because there is
> already a setting that specifies the initial split direction.
>
> Edward

I haven't been particularly following the discussion about toggle-split
direction, but I think I see things a little different to you.

The Bash history facility (for example) use a file (~/.bash-history by
default) which stores the last N commands entered. So I had in mind
something similar, which could be loaded at the start of a session,
maintained as commands are entered and executed, and saved before exit. I
would keep the number of commands stored relatively small (N = 50 or 100,
perhaps).

The 'problem' then would be: how, at the start of a session say, would the
commands in @data command-history be 'reconciled' with the contents of the
.history file? One could imagine them being concatenated, but other schemes
are possible, and I am not sure there is a definitively best answer.

    Jon N