On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:58:02 AM UTC-5, Terry Brown wrote:

My interpretation of the proposal was a replacement of all @settings
> trees, not simply caching.

That's a much harder sell, but I won't veto it until I know a lot more.

Sqlite is a standard Python library, so no installation issue.

Oh.  I didn't know that.

> DB's can represent hierarchy, so that could be handled too.

I'm not so interested in the back room.

I guess a demo project could demonstrate the possible user interface

A very hard sell. We already have a working user interface for settings
that supports of all of Leo's features, including cff, clones, scripting
API (generators, p.b, p.h, p.gnx, etc.).

Let's start with the easiest, quickest prototype that could possibly work.
This will typically *not* involve programming.  A brief description along
with some sketches would be a quicker and more informative.  That way,
everyone, including myself, could more clearly understand the potential
benefits.