On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 15:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 3:44:10 PM UTC-5, Terry Brown wrote:
>

> > Anyway, as long as no one uses git push --force, I don't think it's
> > possible to lose anything.
> >

> Right.  We can't do that.
>
> This page
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4114095/how-to-revert-git-repository-to-a-previous-commit>
>
> discusses the problems with trying to undo commits that have been
> pushed and then pulled by others.
>
> Rev 3a9e54e reverts *almost* everything to 5c25d3f, the last commit
> before everything went weird. The only real omission was the recent
> changes to quicksearch.py.

We should probably recover those as well.

> I performed this restoration as follows:
>
> - git checkout 5c25d3f # the "good" commit
> - load leoPy.leo
> - git checkout master: Do NOT reload files into leoPy.leo.
> - write all files from leoPy.leo
> - test
> - add, commit and push
>
> In other words, I used leoPy.leo as a source of the desired code.
> It's a bit unorthodox, but it seems to have worked fine.

I think it could have been done with git.  I wonder if some variation
of the above was what caused the problem in the first place - the
possibility I only just thought of being "No to all" when "Yes to all"
was more appropriate.  Wondering if that could cause both branches to
have the same hash, and lead to them collapsing together.

> I think master is ready to pull and test.
>
> The big question is, how to make sure the present master code forms
> the basis of important branches?  I'm not sure that a merge from
> master to sqlite-format will do the trick.  In other words, I suspect
> that sqlite-format is dangerous, through no fault of Vitalije.

I don't see any reason for concern.  The sqlite-format branch is still
pointing to a commit before the discontinuity, and I just tested (post
3a9e54e) checking it out, merging master, committing, switching back to
master, committing.  Nothing seemed to go wrong, branches remained
separate.