On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:21:05 -0700 (PDT)
vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I wrote in this comment
> <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/514#issuecomment-315608480>,
> I had a serious trouble with this branch pollution thing.
> My advice is never to develop two separate branches in the same
> folder. Every branch deserves its own folder. At least this is true
> when using Leo with cache enabled, especially if using sqlite-leo
> version of Leo.
>
> I plan to investigate this thoroughly and until (if ever) I really
> understand what and how can possibly go wrong, I would keep all
> branches in dedicated folders.
> Vitalije

This may be the safest policy, but I've never had trouble in my
probably more limited branch switching in Leo (with caching).

As long as Leo's refresh from disk code works reasonably and as long as
you **always say yes to all** when Leo prompts for reload on external
changes, it doesn't seem like there should be a problem.

As soon as you skip saying "yes to all", there's a possibility that
Leo's loaded copy is from a different branch, and anything that occurs
to cause it to be saved causes cross branch copying, in effect.

I've probably done much less branch switching than you two, Edward and
Vitalije, but apart from the quite reasonable (although very
detrimental) cross branch contamination arising from the above lack of
yes to all, it seems there shouldn't be a problem unless reloading or
caching isn't working correctly.

There might be some related issues like what to do if you don't reload
a file when Leo asks, then cause it to be written later - should Leo
remind you again it doesn't match the disk copy?  Probably best if it
did.  Particularly seeing Leo's realtime checking for external changes
can be switched off for slow filesystems etc.