On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 01:41:00 -0300
"Xavier G. Domingo" <xgdomi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Terry's idea is great. I don't know how do Runlevels exactly
> work in *nix OSs nor what is your idea on how to implement them in
> Leo, but it occurs to me that it could even be useful to have a
> *g.initState* ivar or similar that explicits the current
> initialization "phase" in which Leo is at any moment. This could be
> leveraged to add asserts all around the initialization code to check
> that Leo is in fact at the expected initState for that code. At the
> very least, it may help in the "migration" phase to the new startup
> code.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Xavier

Hmm, I meant my idea to be a thought experiment, maybe resulting in a
list of steps, not actual code.  OTOH, unix runlevels formalize a kind
of set up / tear down sequencing that might have some value.  Not sure,
shutdown of a whole computer's more complicated than Leo shutdown,
which can mostly be handled by the gc and OS without any effort on our
part.

But having a list of named stages might be a useful thing for any
startup redesign that does occur, to help with thinking about at what
stage things should happen.