On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:24:22 -0700 (PDT)
vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I have installed hooks now and made first commit/push. I hope
> it worked now.
>
> It changed asctime to localized representation of time. I don't know
> if it matters.
>
> Vitalije

Ha, well, I think it looks cool, Leo correctly displays the Cyrillic
characters.  But various attempts to copy paste give these results:

Leo 5.5, build 20170731192022, ???, 31. ??? 2017.  19:20:22 CEST

Leo 5.5, build 20170731192022, \u043f\u043e\u043d, 31.
\u0458\u0443\u043b 2017.  19:20:22 CEST

so I guess we should force it to use English.  Maybe we should force it
to use GMT at the same time.  That makes more sense than local time,
which could potentially mis-order commits when people are trying to
resolve issues.

Well duh, in the middle of a discussion about the bash git hooks I just
spent time searching the Leo code base for where the time is formatted
- of course it's formatted in the bash hooks.  I think the way to make
it appear the same everywhere is to add

export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8
export TZ=Greenwich

to the start of the commit-msg hook

Could you test that pls. Vitalije?  Thanks.