I am following discussions about Leo - Jupyter  integration, although I
have no time to actually try or do anything about it.
Edward, I suspect that you didn't understand very well what Terry has
suggested on several occasions. There is no need to instantiate kernels or
any part of the server side code from Leo. It would suffice for Leo just to:

   1. check if server is already running and if not to execute an external
   script which should run server in separate process.
   2. After that Leo scripts should just create messages and send them to
   server through zeromq,
   3. and wait for the response messages again through zeromq connections.

Everything is in formatting messages adequately using data from Leo tree
and parsing/unpacking data from responses when they arrive displaying
somehow in Leo.

HTH Vitalije