I think that the suggested method of installing anaconda is not the optimal
way to facilitate this; it should be python-simple:

1) the user does not necessarily learn what exactly gets installed on
his/her system
2) it creates an overload in case people are not needing all included
packages (if people are not using leo for python programming and do not
need access to ipython, scipy, numpy, matplotlib etc; anaconda is overload)
3) it bypasses the possibility of providing distribution-specific installs
which often are guided by specific guidelines
4) the possibility of installing leo as a python program should be kept
python-KISS, that is via python-install methods like pip (which will sort
out required dependencies) or setup.py
5) a setup.py is the standard way of installing a python program and used
by distribution-specific install-scripts that enable keeping track of what
is installed. Pip makes this more obscure so that it is important that a
setup.py file is present and up-to-date

What is important is that configuration on a linux system can become more
straightforward than it currently is, that is via use of the leoSettings.
For example, all menu-related settings to open a file using another editor
is windows-specific. This can be changed, as I am learning now, by copying
the @settings/Menu/Open With-node from leoSettings.leo to myLeoSettings.leo
file and overwrite the windows-specific bits with linux specific
paths/executables. But it would be helpful if not each linux user has to do
this for him/her self. This has been picked up and is addressed in
leo-editor/issues/596 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/596>

The mime-type script is interesting; thanks. I found full instructions for
applying this here: www.freedesktop.org/..AddingMIMETutor/
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor/> .
Together with a .desktop file, this could be a nice addition as part of the
leo distribution and then, together with the leo.desktop file (like
attached) being installed by the distribution according to its own
guidelines.

PS I am on Slackware linux where we use for each application a script (a so
called SlackBuild) to compile and install the program; this enables
maintainers to copy files to particular places when needed (like the
leo.desktop to /usr/share/applications and leo.mime to
/usr/share/mime/packages). The currently used version is on
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/development/leo/

cheers,

rob