On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:41:43 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> #489 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/489> asserts
> that this plugin is dangerous.  Is it? Is it needed in light of
> recent work, for example, on unls?

Bit of an essay so we're all on the same page...

wikiview.py makes wiki-like links in body text by *visually* converting
unl:///path/to/some/leofile.leo#Website-->Pages-->Background-->Rationale
to just Rationale but setting the font size of the rest of the link to
0px.  When the cursor moves through the invisible text it's reset to
regular size for editing.

I also use and value it for rendering &nbsp; as &, as &nbsp; is the
best solution I've found for non-breaking space in markdown for papers
where you don't want numbers and units separated etc.

wikiview.py originally ran a post pass after the old colorizer without
issues, I think it started biting the end off body text with the new
colorizer, possibly because they were both working on the text at the
same time?

Edward you worked on it, I though with the intent of merging it into
the colorizer code, although the plugin still needs to be enabled for
wikiview patterns to have any effect.  I think your work at least had
the effect of changing the patterns it uses from generic regex to the
leading character patterns used by the colorizer.

*However* I've had it enabled again for some time and not seen any
issues lately.  I'd feel more sure if it was merged into the colorizer
code, but it hasn't bitten me for some time.  It may just be that I
haven't been working on the longish body texts with urls at the end it
was tripping on before.

HTH :-}  Cheers -Terry