Yes, although it seems to have been worse since Vitalige's cache
related work.  Python 2/3 pickle protocols aren't compatible by
default.  It's possible that there's some relatively new code that
should be changed to use an older protocol, not sure about that.

Bottom line I think pickle's a bad format for anything except transient
serialization, like between processes in a distributed computation.
JSON's definitely worth the extra work to serialize dates, sets, etc.
in terms of durability and compatibility.

I switch frequently, and see this a lot.  I'm not saying that
eliminating use of pickle should be a high priority, just worth
checking if there's anything that could cut down on these issues easily.

Cheers -Terry