This page <https://www.math.hmc.edu/~su/math131/good-math-writing.pdf>
contains guidelines for good mathematical writing. Imo, it generalizes
pretty well to any kind of technical writing.

The first principle, "Know your audience" applies to our recent discussions
of code refactoring and simplification. There are at least two "audiences"
for Leo's own code.  The first audience is Leo's devs.  The second, even
more important audience is "scripting users", that is, writers of
scripts/plugins.  We always want to minimize the effects of "cleanups" on
scripting users.