I wanted to create an outline that looks like this:

where A is a clone.  So when I Shift-Control-C copied A and then tried
Outline -> Paste as Clone with E selected, I got:

   File
"/mnt/usr1/tnb_data/Package/leo/git/leo-editor/leo/core/leoFileCommands.py",
line 416, in getLeoOutlineFromClipboardRetainingClones
    assert c.hiddenRootNode not in v.parents, g.objToString(v.parents)

Ended up with an outline like this:

(i.e. as it was before failed attempt to paste as clone) *but*
expanding / contracting A revealed it to be a uni-clone.

So that's a bug report - the why not bit is if I instead create this
outline:

where A is a clone, all works as expected, *and* I can promote the
first reference to A back to the top level, getting they layout I was
originally aiming for, even thought that seemed to be illegal.

(current devel, using HOME=/tmp for default settings)