On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 15:39:12 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Without a parent I don't understand how the Turtle widget will ever
> > > become visible.
> >
> > Who told you parents are essential?  Probably your parents... :-)
>
> Hehe.
>
> But I do think specifying a parent, directly or indirectly, is
> essential. Without it, the window becomes a stand-alone window, or so
> I think.
>
> I see the same behavior on Ubuntu or Windows.  The code you gave shows
> nothing in the allocated window area.  Modifications of the code show
> the staircase in an external window.

Hmm, well the code worked for me when executed in two steps, as I
thought I'd described, but maybe I didn't.

First you execute the top part, i.e. import, class def, and
c.free_layout.get_top_splitter().register_provider(TurtleProvider(c))

then (easter egg menu) right click a divider, select Insert, which
creates an action button, then click that to open the 'Graphics scene
turtle' pane.

Then run the second half of the code.

The above worked for me in vanilla (HOME=/tmp) Leo.