On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 06:16:28 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So far I've only really had success with simple abbreviations to
> > quickly add TODO and various :tag: to Org Mode tasks. For instance,
> > this one makes adding tasks a little easier to enter into a node
> > header: th;;={|{x="TODO"+" :Home:"}|}
> >
> > I would really like to improve this abbreviation by moving the
> > cursor to between TODO and the tag, but I've not worked out how to
> > do that yet.
> >
> Apparently, it's not possible to reset the insert point or selection
> range from abbreviations.  I've just spent over an hour try to do
> that.
>
> The idea was to define a set_cursor function in @data
> abbreviations-subst-env, but that didn't work.  w.setInsertPoint
> didn't "take" in time.  And there were problems in the actual
> abbreviation code.
>
> My apologies for this.  The abbreviation code is horrendous, and has
> lots of difficult interactions with the Qt widgets.

I think the abbreviation definition would be:

th;;=TODO<||> :Home:

This works when editing the headline of an existing node, but not when
editing the headline of a node just created with Insert.  So Leo is in
some subtly different state in this case which I don't really think the
abbreviation code can be blamed for.