On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:18 AM jkn <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

Aren't there some ... systems where you can provide (terminology showing
> the vintage here) a handle to an outside program, of 'the window under
> consideration'?

Sure.  nvim supports servername.  See also nvr
<https://github.com/mhinz/neovim-remote>.

To my mind it would be nicer to have the body pane of Leo visible, but
> actually *be* the vim, emacs or whatever buffer.

Sure.  Alas, I know of no way of doing it.  On any platform.

You could call this a holy grail. Imo, it's not likely to happen.

In your diagram,I'm not clear how you would send the tree to the external
> editor. Wouldn't that have to be in text mode, with much potential loss of
> information?

The diagram implies no such thing.  The tree is in Leo.  You would have to
move back to Leo to move from node to node.

You could imagine, say,  `:leo-up` and similar commands that would simulate
an up arrow in Leo's outline pane, updating the body pane (that is, vim) in
the process.

I expect to play with these ideas in prototypes.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leo-editor/CAMF8tS2PEMHMLxNjX0aNmGQASaOJkhycdpp%3DDrv3N%2BejO9gntA%40mail.gmail.com.