> Direct ``pip install
>> https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/devel.zip``
>> <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/devel.zip> does *not*
>> work. For proper operation Leo relies on presence of certain files outside
>> of the standard Python `site-packages` folder structure.
>>
>> @Edward: Has been a deliberate design decision of your side &  if yes,
>> please explain why?
>>

> The question should read: Has this been a deliberate design decision on
> your side &  if yes, please explain why?

No, not deliberate. It's a result from Python's package evolution and how
pip works.

Leo is both a Library and an Application and python packaging is designed
mostly around the Library part. We could make it work and there are a
couple good reasons aside from unwanted pip results to do it, but it is a
major effort that would make every developer who uses Leo have to adjust
their workflow and tooling. The source code tree structure would change at
root, breaking many many scripts. Not gonna happen anytime soon. ;-)

-matt