Five years later, I have a suggestion about these stylesheet problems.  You
can get pygments to generate a stylesheet for you.  There are various
styles, and I just used the one named "default":

pygmentize -S default -f html > pygments.css

(pygmentize gets installed with "pip install pygments")

or:

from pygments import cmdline
args = [cmdline.__name__, '-S', 'default', '-f', 'html']
cmdline.main(args)

This will output a css stylesheet to the console.  All the style names should
match up because they are the ones that pygments uses.
This can be the starting point for tinkering to improve the appearance.  I like
to add rules to give block and code boxes a light background and a rounded
border.