On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 16:48:27 -0800 (PST)
andyjim <andyji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Really dumb question, I know.  MacOS system. I'd like to launch Leo
> from the launch bar instead of from terminal (which is the only way I
> know to launch it). But it ties up the terminal so I can't use it for
> anything else while Leo is running (not that I use terminal much, but
> occasionally), plus it would be easier/quicker to launch from icon.
> I don't find a launchLeo or a runLeo file on my system.
> Andy

I'd suggest investigating dmenu at https://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/ .
It works on Linux, and it's pure X so I don't see a reason it wouldn't
work on a modern Mac. If you can get it working on your Mac, see setup
details here:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/dmenu/bestpractices.htm

(The preceding link will be back up 2/6/2020)

If you can't get dmenu to work, the following Python script enables you
to run any GUI program with a doublefork, freeing the terminal it's run
from:

#!/usr/bin/python3

import sys
import os

if os.fork():
    sys.exit(0)
if os.fork():
    sys.exit(0)
os.setsid()  ### New to 1.9.3, guarantees complete fork
sys.argv.pop(0)
executable = sys.argv[0]
os.execvp(executable, sys.argv)

To run Gnumeric without consuming the terminal, just do the following:

./ufork.py gnumeric

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust