The following are only suggestions, based only on my examination of
zettelkasten.leo.

*Special node names*

At present, the only "special" nodes (nodes starting with '@') in
zettelkasten.leo are @rst and @path nodes. Imo, this is a dubious design. I
would have expected to see @box and @note nodes (assuming that @box will
actually be useful).

The principle is that special nodes should be descriptive, not
"procedural". Note: within LeoDocs.leo @rst nodes *are* descriptive: they
denote a tree that corresponds to an external (documentation) file. Within
zettelkasten.leo, however, @rst and @path nodes could be called hacks. Yes,
they do have a purpose, but only a behind-the-scenes purpose.

You might also want a higher-level grouping, say @zettelkasten, or @group,
or @topic, or something else.

*Commands*

The @command nodes are a good start. However, they too are implementation
oriented. Imo, @command new-note and @command new-box would be better.

The "no lock in" requirement can be fulfilled by import/export scripts,
defined in other @command/@button nodes.

*Summary*

zettelkasten.leo is an excellent prototype. It shows your ideas well. Its
simplicity will make making changes a snap.

Commands and headlines should be user-oriented, not implementation
oriented. Just a tiny bit of work will be needed to support @box and @note.

Let me know if you disagree, or if I have misunderstood something.