On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 1:03 AM Félix <felixgra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> if I understand correctly, you cannot just name any random node anywhere
in an outline "@button hello" and expect to see a "hello" button appear in
the top button bar upon saving, like you would expect a file to be
generated, were you to name any node in an outline "@file myfile.txt", and
save...

Correct.

> But closing Leo and reopening show me the file with the button proudly
sitting up there in the button bar :) Also having the node selected and
clicking the already present 'script button' adds a button.

Exactly.

> just wondering if i've got something off in my settings or is this normal
behavior

This is the expected behavior.

>  what (event) should trigger the button being defined as a "@button
<label>" node, to appear in the button bar?

There isn't any such event. You have to press the 'script button' button if
you want to define the button immediately. Imo, this is reasonable because
@button scripts also create commands. You don't want to do that by accident.

> I'm also reading about the @button having to be in a setting file or a
@setting node ? but that would be to make them 'global' in all opened files
if I got it right...?

Not quite. See the documentation in leoSettings.leo, the node
@settings-->Common @button nodes