On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 9:22:08 AM UTC-4, Geoff Evans wrote:

> Sorry to be slow, but:
> "MyLeoSettings has priority for setting something, otherwise
> LeoSettings.leo prevails."
>
> It seems to me that if I simply comment out a plugin line in
> myLeoSettings.leo, I'm turning it into a line that gets ignored, not a line
> that contradicts what's in leoSettings.leo -- so the plugin would still be
> there.  Which would mean that I'd have to edit leoSettings.leo itself?
>
> I suppose an alternative is that there's a whole plugins section in both
> files, and the section in My... would override the section in Leo...   In
> which case commenting out would work.

I think the way it works is this:

LeoSettings.leo has a list of plugins. most are commented out, but a few of
the more useful ones are not commented out.  An uncommented plugin in
MyLeoSettings.leo will cause that plugin to be enabled.  That is, a setting
line that is commented out is the same as it it were not there.  So a line
that is commented out in MyLeoSettings.leo will not override the same
uncommented line in LeoSettings.leo; only the uncommented lines count, and
also if there are uncommented settings that are different between the two
files, the one in MyLeoSettings.leo will be used.