... Ohhh .... Thank you Thomas, that explains it (feeling rather
foolish).  And thank you too Edward, you stated it quite clearly in
your message, I was just too thick-headed to pick up on it :-(
I knew the @others directive was an *option* (like the others), just
didn't seem like it was a *requirement*. But 20/20 hindsight.
FWIW, I don't mind plowing through words, I've been reading this one
extensively: https://leoeditor.com/directives.html
(and I'm using the LeoDocs.leo file for this).  But it wasn't clear to
me from reading this (many times) that it was necessary,
and that it was working without them (for good reasons) for @auto files
was adding to my confusion.

I saw there was a tutorial on "Creating Documents from Outlines" but it
seems specific to @rst which isn't my objective.
I haven't located any other tutorials re: documents, but perhaps I'm
blind.

It's maybe worth a quick note or column in the @file kind comparison
table to say if it requires these or not.

I'd definitely be interested in simple walk-through tutorials for how
to do these basic tasks, I hope to become proficient enough to
contribute to these as well :-)

Thanks again, I really appreciate it,
Kevin