On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:50:10 AM UTC-4, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> I'm no expert on git workflow, but I don't see how PR's can possibly be a
> substitute for cooperation based on close communication.

I wouldn't disagree, but I've seen on some other projects that a PR
sometimes generates a  long and careful discussion of the issue and
proposed change.

Here's the conundrum I had with regards to the layout2 branch.  I had to
make some changes in VR3 to match changes you made.  In my own clone repo,
I created a layout2 branch based off yours, so it was up to date with yours
at that point.  I assumed it was also up to date with devel at the time you
created your branch.

I figured that you would need to try out my VR3 changes to see if you could
find an error with either my or your changes.  But you didn't have my
version.  The purpose of the PR was so you could try out my changes.  That
couldn't happen in devel because your layout changes weren't there.  I had
not made any changes to your splitter code, so I knew that merging my VR3
wouldn't cause any problems there.

I'm sorry now that I didn't start a discussion thread about these things
before I did the VR3 merge.